Sunday, November 12, 2017

Crosman P1322 Carbine

CAUTION: Airguns are Not Toys and must be handled with Extreme Caution and Safety at All Times. Handle any Airgun as if it were loaded. Always keep it pointed down range or away from any people. Read all directions and cautions before handling. Adult Supervision is strongly advised. Make sure your back stop is adequate to stop any stray rounds or flyers. Never shoot at a hard surface as your bb or pellet may  ricochet and strike someone or something unintentionally.


Above: The bone stock Crosman P1322. The 1322 is a pneumatic variable pump pistol (3-10 pumps). A nice Bolt Action, single shot pistol in .22 Caliber  (5.5 mm). There is nothing wrong with the stock pistol, if that's what you are looking for. However, I recently sold both my 2289 custom Backpacker and my 1377 American Classic custom carbine. It's time to put together a new .22 carbine.
Above: In my opinion every 1322 or 1377 build should start with a steel breech upgrade. It is the single most important upgrade I will make. That goes for the 2240 Co2 pistol as well.
Above:I will be installing this 14" Crosman rifled steel barrel. I want this carbine to be a compact tactical style carbine. A 14" in barrel should be just right for this build. The added length should be worth about 10 fps per inch. A nice gain in power, while still keeping it a brush friendly carbine.
Above: Here I have punched out the roll pin so I can install a backpacker style barrel band which will allow the longer barrel to pass through. If you are going to upgrade your pin to a stainless steel pin or change it to a clevis pin, this is the time to do that. This way you only have to do this pin removal once. Which is what I should have done.
Above: Here I have installed the steel breech, the backpacker (2289) barrel band and the 14" Crosman rifled barrel. Notice I have not upgraded the roll pin at this point, mistake!
above: Here is the FieldSport P4 compact sniper scope. I have upgraded to high profile rings with 4 screws up top and two at the base (each). The high profile rings give me better access to the breech. The six screws on each ring make it a real solid mount. If you can afford to install better scope rings I advise you to do so. The last thing you want to worry about is your scope loosening up or shifting.
Above: I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the cash (about $80.00 US delivered) for this 4 position stock with the integrated power adjuster / adapter. I like the look and the function. As I mentioned I wanted this to be a bush friendly carbine. Being able to collapse the stock in the brush really helps accomplish that. What I don't like about the stock, it does rattle a bit, I'm not real pleased about that. And it just doesn't seem all that sturdy. Where the adapter / power adjuster attaches to the pistol seems sturdy enough. You definitely want to make sure those screws are tight. It is the three grub screws that attach the stock to the adapter that does worry me. Will the plastic hold up to the three steel screws that secure the stock to the adapter? I don't know, but I have my doubts. I am toying with the idea of installing a thin metal band around the stock in the channel where the screws make contact. I am a senior shooter and I am always very careful with my air guns, and my firearms as well. But I do plan to sell the carbine, and thinking about that stock mount holding up concerns me.
Above:For the muzzle brake I chose this Crosman polished aluminium fluted and vented brake with a removable sight pin. I will be removing the pin.
above: Here I have installed a Crosman trigger sear spring adjuster. The spring felt a little too strong, so I compressed it a bit. This adjuster allows you to adjust the resistance (lbs) of the trigger pull.
Above: I punched out the original roll pin "again" and replaced it with this single headed clevis pin. I was unable to locate the headless clevis pin that has a groove on each end for a c clip. I really liked the one I spotted for sale on eBay. But 14.95 is a bit pricey. If and when I locate the headless pin wholesale I will purchase some extras and sell a few and keep a few for myself. I will file down the front corners of the lever handle to clear the pin. I have noticed others have done the same. This pin is 3/16 x 7/8" I don't think I paid more than a couple dollars for the works. In all fairness, it is not stainless steel though. The 14.94 set up is much nicer for sure.

Above: The  P1322 Crosman carbine build if finished. The scope works well with the adjustable stock. I can adjust the stock so I have just the right eye relief.
The carbine shoots nice, cocks smoothly and looks pretty sweet too. I was planning on installing a 2289 Backpacker style pump lever grip, but they are no longer being produced. And all that were produced have been bought up.


Above: I have been thinking for a while that it might be fun to do a 2240 carbine.
And I was right, it was fun. I'll be doing a blog post about that real soon. Until next time, Have fun but Always Shoot Safe.
I'm out of here, Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment