Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Crosman 2100 Classic Trigger work and pellet selection

Airguns Are Not Toys. Used improperly they can cause Serious Injury or Death.  Read All Instructions and Cautions BEFORE Handling. Modifying your airgun will no doubt void the factory warranty. You alone are responsible for any mods you do to your airgun. And you alone are responsible for using your airgun in a safe and legal manner.

Above: After the trigger mods, my trigger pull is much better than the 5 Lbs 10 oz that it delivered out of the box.  After seeing that the results (above) were shy of the 1 Lb 8 oz that I was trying to achieve. I held the (unloaded and depressurized)  2100 upside down. I pulled the trigger back. And using the straw I sprayed some SLICK (a short burst) in the gap and let the 2100 sit for a while. Now my trigger pull is right around 2 Lbs.


Above: After remounting the UTG 3 - 9 X 40 AO scope and Shooting from the Stable Table and using a K Zone rifle rest. It was time to see if the  trigger mods would help me tighten up my groups.

After some warm up shots and a little windage and elevation adjustment. (I adjusted the windage and elevation going by where most of the shots were grouping)  I took these shots at a fresh target using the Crosman Premiers 7.4 gn pointed .177 cal.  lead pellets.. I always sight in at close range (about 25 or 30 feet) before going out back. My neighbors are close. This string was really disappointing. There is no way I'm taking the rifle outback shooting like this.

Above: My Sig MPX HPA conversion shoots the RWS Diabolo Basics pretty well. So I thought I would give them a try in the 2100 Classic. Usually Crosman airguns shoot Crosman pellets really well. Definitely not the case with this Crosman pneumatic rifle. With a few minor adjustments I should have no problem destroying the bulls eye on this 4 " Splatterburst target using the RWS pellets.


Above: This is where the trigger pull is at now. The Slick Silicone spray and a little use have helped drop the trigger pull weight down a bit.

Above: When it comes to pellet selection I'm not the guy who's gonna try 10 different pellets. That's what the internet is for. Poking around on youtube you can usually find someone who has done the work for you. From now on I will not say "Crosman Airguns love Crosman pellets". Now it's "Most Crosman airguns love  Crosman pellets".


Above: These are the 3 parts that I modified to lighten the trigger pull. For the trigger spring, it is just a matter of bending the straight leg so that it puts less pressure on the safety push-pin. As for the Sear itself, I  used a bench grinder to take a little off the height of those two shark fin shaped protrusions or tabs on the top. And for the Sear Spring, it is just a matter of shortening it. As suggested in the video I cut off one ring from the sear spring. In retrospect I wish I had removed two. (that may not be the correct Sear Spring pictured)  I was looking to get the trigger pull down to 1 or 1 &1/2 Lbs.

Above: To help find the grove when replacing the receiver,  I taped a toothpick to the bb pusher knob. The best advice I could give anyone attempting this mod (or any internal mod). Is raise up the rifle using books or something very stable. Make sure the barrel, and the receiver and stock are all held up evenly. Leave a gap for the cocking handle that sticks out the opposite side of the receiver.
The rifle must be stabilized. If allowed to move, it will basically fall apart.  That, I learned the hard way...lol  And be extra careful with the springs. Watch the video before attempting this mod. I used two different Youtube videos to help me. One is the trigger mod video for the Crosman 2100 Classic. The other is the take apart and reassemble the Crosman 766 / 2100 Pellet / BB Rifle video. Both can be found on Youtube. Having a few extra parts on hand might be a good idea (especially the springs). This is not a simple job putting the 2100 Classic back together but it's not impossible. I have what is called "low vision" which means I don't see very well. Taking apart and reassembling  an airgun I have never worked on before is always a real challenge. My wife on a many occasions has helped be locate fly-away springs. Best of Luck. Shoot Safe . Cheers, Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment