Wednesday, August 23, 2017

CALDWELL PISTOLERO PISTOL REST REVIEW

Hello and Welcome,
 CAUTION: Airguns are Not Toys and must be handled with Extreme Caution and Safety at All Times. Handle any Airgun as if it were loaded. Always keep it pointed down range or away from any people. Read all directions and cautions before handling. Adult Supervision is strongly advised. Make sure your back stop is adequate to stop any stray rounds or flyers. Never shoot at a hard surface as your bb or pellet may  ricochet and strike someone or something unintentionally.
ABOVE: The Caldwell Pistolero Pistol Rest. Price $24.95 including shipping. The first thing you will notice is it is made of plastic.

Being made of plastic the rest is lightweight. It doesn't have a rock solid feel when you rest your pistol on it. If they made the bottom a hollow compartment so you could fill it with sand or pea gravel that would be a huge improvement. I did get comfortable with the rest after using it a few times. Hey, we are talking about 25 bucks here.  I didn't expect perfection.
The butt rest adjusts forward and backwards fairly easily. The top of the butt rest is a rubber piece that keeps the butt from sliding around too easily. The rest slides along two channels and has a tab that is pushed into the selected groove. This can be a little finicky. But once you get the tab inserted it works pretty well.
The cradle or barrel rest is height adjustable. The cradle also has a soft rubber insert that prevents the barrel from sliding around easily. And it protects the barrel from damage. Now as I said before, the pistol rest is all plastic. So the cradle isn't going to feel rock solid either. Once you get it adjusted to the desired height you can lock it in using the threaded bolt on the side. You only want to tighten the bolt a little. Too much pressure and the cradle post will move. You will see this looking through the dot sight or scope when locking the post into place. Again this is a 25.00 rest, So I'm not complaining. The description says it adjusts to fit almost any pistol. So lets try a few and see.
Above; Here is my Beretta PX4 Co2 Pistol which is considerably smaller than the Crosman 2240 . It seems to fit the in the Pistolero rest pretty well. Lets try a few more.
Above: Here we have the Colt Defender Co2 bb pistol. The Colt Defender is a fairly small pistol. So I am impressed. I wish I had a revolver handy but I don't. So lets try something even smaller.
Above: My TAURUS TCP PT 738 .380 ACP. Even with the extended grip (magazine) this is a really small "pocket pistol". If it were a BB or Pellet pistol, this might work ok. But I don't think the muzzle flash would do the Pistolero rest any good. But this does show just how adjustable the Caldwell Pistolero Pistol Rest is.Now I'll try to show you some results.


Left: This is about as good as can I shoot my 2240 standing in a semi rest position. I am using an old throw pillow on top of a stool which is on top of a table. LTMS Sounds like a bloody circus act. But it is more stable than it sounds.(but not much) Distance about 8 yards. My air gun range is set up in my garage. I shoot across the front of the Garage. There is an 8 ft door and a 16 ft door with a two foot pier in between. And about 2 foot on each end. The lighting is fair to poor, But I am working on that. Soon I will have to put away the Co2 pistols until spring. But the pumpers and break barrel rifle will be fine in the colder months. Also I can take my "other firearms" to the indoor range during the winter months. I like to shoot at Peacemakers Indoor Range in Howell MI. Very modern set up and very professional folks running the place as well. I haven't been in a while I hope they are still there.

Today I cleaned and tightened up the 2240. Using the Caldwell Rest, I took 3 shots, then adjusted my BSA dot sight right about 4 clicks. After that I just hammered the kill zone on this silhouette target. I took my time, as it is a single shot bolt action pistol. I did use the rest once before just to get the feel for it. It wouldn't have been fair to review it using it for the first time. In closing I would say the Caldwell Pistolero Pistol Rest did help me shoot better. My vision is 20/40 so I never use open sights. But considering my situation I think I am shooting pretty well. As I heard someone say recently on Youtube, "I'm not tournament good, I'm combat good".
I would like to say two more things before I finish up. First, This is a Pistol Rest Not a Work Stand. If you use it for a work stand it probably won't end well. Also I think (for the price) I would say the Caldwell Pistolero Pistol Rest a good investment.
Until Next Time, Have Fun but Shoot Safe. I'm out. Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment