Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The never ending Evolution of my Crosman 1377 American Classic Pistol

Hello and Welcome

CAUTION: Airguns are Not Toys and must be handled with Extreme Caution and Safety at All Times. Handle any Airgun as if it were loaded. Always keep it pointed down range or away from any people. Read all directions and cautions before handling. Adult Supervision is strongly advised. Make sure your back stop is adequate to stop any stray rounds or flyers. Never shoot at a hard surface as your bb or pellet may  ricochet and strike someone or something unintentionally.



Above: The Crosman 1377 American Classic as it comes from the factory. There is nothing wrong with the stock 1377.A.C. It has good power right out of the box (around 600 fps) and is pretty accurate as well. Very capable of taking care of any small rodents or birds that may be raiding your garden.

The very first change I made to my 1377 was to add a carbine stock. This made it much easier for me to keep the pistol on target. Which after installing it  immediately made my groups noticeably tighter. At this point I started searching google for images of modified 1377's. I did some research and learned that in order to successfully mount decent optics in the future (scopes ,dot sights etc) a steel breach with a machined dove tail mount is the best option. Being on a budget my first electronic dot sight cost about 10.00 US. Actually i think it was a little less than that. I think we already had the basic cleaning kit we used to clean our Crosman 760 pump pellet / b.b. rifle, which we still use for pest control. The steel breech upgrade also makes a better sturdier mounting point for a longer barrel than the original plastic breech ever could.
After being inspired by other modified 1377s I had seen online I decided to install a longer rifled barrel and a beefier black fore grip / pump lever handle. And I went through a couple muzzle guards before deciding on the one shown. It made sense to do the barrel and fore grip at the same time. No sense in taking the pistol apart twice if you don't have to. The scope shown was borrowed off my Ruger AirHawk brake barrel rifle.



The the Crosman 1377 eventually got it's own scope. I didn't want a full size (or longer) scope. I only use this for backyard pest control and short range target shooting and plinking. I wanted the carbine to have a tactical look as well. This is also why I kept everything black.


The scope I chose is the NcStar Model#SC430B P4 Sniper. (about 20.00 US) I was shooting in the "garage air pistol range" today with it, and in low light it is really tricky to load. Now I am seeing the down side of the shorter scope. I will try to reposition the scope forward a bit and hopefully that will help. If not I think this scope might work out well with a Co2 pistol project I have in mind.

Above : Just to see how they would fly I look two shots with the RWS Diabolo Basic 7gr pellets. Then 4 or 5 shots with the Crosman Pointed Premium Grade Lead Hunting pellets, which weigh in at abou 7.50 gr (I am guessing). Anyway what they say is true "Crosman air guns shoot well with Crosman pellets" As you can see I was more accurate shooting the Crosman pellets. And the group was noticeably tighter. The RWS pellets sure make a nice hole though, looks like a .22 cal. hole. For reference, that is 3 inch RangeMaxx spot target.

<~ LEFT: Once I decided on the Crosman Lead Pointed Hunting Pellets I decided to do a little silhouette shooting. Ok, this is going to sound like an excuse. But at least 1 of those low shots was a bad pellet. With Crosman lead pellets (or any brand) you really want to take a quick look at each pellet before you load it. One of the pellets that didn't want to chamber ended up hitting low. The other low shot, well that one was probably just me. It was hot in the garage range so I didn't shoot long. I did also shoot my Beretta PX4 Storm Recon, Not all that accurate but a blast to shoot. I was shooting baseball size groups with the Beretta. And that's acceptable to me, as it is a (replica) close combat weapon. And I wasn't taking my time. I like to practice rapid fire shooting from time to time. Something they do not condone at the indoor pistol range. They like a minimum 3 count between shots. Another advantage to shooting air pistols at my home air gun range.

Above: My Beretta PX4 Storm Recon. The Beretta has the blowback action which is nice for teaching purposes. The RECON version came with a Tri or Quad Rail and I had all kinds of cool stuff attached to it...LOL. It looked really cool but was a pain in the ass to shoot. So now I just have the little laser and the Faux silencer.
Until Next Time, Have Fun but Shoot Safe, I'm  out, Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment